Sunday, December 17, 2017

5 Tips to help Bikers Survive Winter

You think it's cold where you live? Come to Northern New York and we'll show you cold (this morning it was -11°F)!!


I love, love, love the summer months -long days in which to ride my 2004 Dyna Super Glide, warm weather to ride in, BBQ's on the back deck after washing my bike, then sitting by the fire pit for a lovely evening before getting up and doing it all again.

So winter for me really starts when I put my bike up for Winter Storage.... which was just before Halloween this year...... Sigh.

And I am not alone. Many others suffer from PMS during the cold winter months (that's Parked Motorcycle Syndrome), the same as I. 

In light of this, I've gotten together with my co-workers at FXCHD and we've created this list so that you might survive the cold chill without losing your mind.

  1. Stay Warm: Which can be a tough one but doable. Block drafts
    from coming in your house and change the furnace filter. Dress in layers when outside. Wear lined boots with good, thick socks. Oh, and a good hat with flaps to cover your ears.
  2. Celebrate the Holidays: And I'm not talking about just Christmas and New Year's. I'm talking about Thanksgiving, Ground Hog Day, Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day. Really throw yourself into it, and by the time
    Easter rolls around you know you've made it through.
  3. Stay active: I mean more than just shoveling and snow blowing, which is inevitable here. I mean doing a project that keeps you occupied, like an engine upgrade on your bike. Or jig-saw puzzles, or taking your dog for a walk and/or take up snowmobiling (remember to dress in layers). Bear in mind
    the Biker saying: Keep Moving Forward.
  4. Stick it in your Ear: Being off the bike means I'm stuck in my car for the duration. Fortunately my car has Sirius XM and is usually set to Octane. It's a chance to listen to new music and update my MP3 player for when I am back on my bike. And Grant Random keeps it real with his insights & comments (he definitely has a Biker mentality). 
  5. Remembering the 7 "P's": Proper prior planning prevents piss
    poor performance. Look at the riding season and plan ahead. Going to a rally? Book your stay now rather than wait till the last minute (even three months out you're likely to have a hard time finding a place to stay). Take a look at which route you'll ride to get there. Make out your packing list now and update or upgrade your gear as needed (especially since shops tend to have sales on Riding Gear during the off season).
The good news is that by the time Winter officially starts (December 22), it's nearly half over for us. Another plus, wintertime in Northern New York is quite beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment