Thursday, November 23, 2017

My Thanksgiving

I give thanks for the long rides that stretch from morning to late afternoon and into the evening. For the miles and curves that vanish beneath my tires, those hours when time loses all meaning. For those days when I ride so long my throttle hand is sore and I walk a bit bow-legged when I finally park the bike.

I give thanks for my Harley beneath me, for the power, the way it sets me back in the saddle each time I twist the throttle. For meaty tires and lean angles.

I am thankful for the sound of my Harley as I sit so proudly on it. It’s like hearing my favorite song drifting from a stranger’s window as I ride along. Pure joy.

I am thankful for hazards recognized, for dangers avoided, for skills of the trained technicians that help to keep my bike purring. I give thanks for the wise riding tips and techniques my more experienced brothers and sisters of the road have taught to me. I give thanks that I ride and live and live to ride again.

I give thanks for the gathering of riders, for being able to recognize a friend’s bikes approaching by their sound, for seeing good companions slow and turn into the lot. For the glad hugs and laughter, the banter. I give thanks for that good company as I see them ahead of me drift to the outside then dip into the curve, one-two-three-four, like seagulls banking and then straighten up, and fly on down the road.

I give thanks for those I come to know and care about over the months and years of riding

the same roads to the same places. I give thanks for making new friends while riding new roads and having week long adventures.  I am thankful for those who I love and who love me simply because we love the same thing--to ride on two wheels in the freedom of the wind.

I give thanks for the sense of “Being” that riding has given me, the freedom to be who I am no matter what others think. It has brought a sense of empowerment for myself and my life - the ability to take on risk and fear and triumph in the challenge. To ride my own ride whether in that good company of bikers or on my own.

I am thankful that I have found my peace in the wind.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU ALL!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment