Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day and Rememberance

You may already know that Harley-Davidson has been working with the US Military since the days of General "Black Jack" Pershing and Pancho Villa. 

Then there's Roy Holtz who rode his Harley-Davidson into Germany after WWI.
And all the WLA's Harley-Davidson produced during WWII, making parts easily interchangeable so soldiers could cannibalize one Harley to fix another - as they learned in Service School (which was carried over from WWI). 


All those years Harley-Davidson worked with the military, but what it comes down to is the personal connection that we have to these motorcycles. This picture, that the Harley-Davidson Museum posted to their Instagram today, speaks to that connection.
Wallace didn't use a Harley in wartime - he purchased it on his own. He loved his bike so much that his mom, rather than sell it, saved it as a shrine. Then his nephew, rather than sell it, donated it to the museum so that others may know of his uncle's passion for Harley-Davidson. It is this selfless passion for our country, so that others may have a chance to ride and be free is what I remember today.
Thanks to their sacrifices I am able to go where I want, when I want, dressed how I want on my Harley-Davidson. I can say what I want about our countries leaders - I can even post this blog! - without fear of reprisal. All because of Wallace and other soldiers, sailors, airmen & marines like them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment