Monday, July 3, 2017

Go Fourth & Ride • Top 5 Tips for a Better Trip

'Tis the Season!! And if you're lucky enough to have a motorcycle to ride (a Harley-Davidson 😎 we hope), then you're lucky enough. 

When you get time to go ride, no matter if it's just to work & back, over the next mountain or off to another state, here's what you need to know to make your ride that much better:


  1. Get the right gear: The most important thing to
    know is your riding gear can make or break your trip. You should have gear that's made by riders for riders: tough, reliable & able to hold up. The essentials are a versatile riding jacket, over-the-ankle boots, jeans or riding pants, a good quality rain suit with heat shields (that won't melt on your hot exhaust), and a DOT approved helmet.
  2. Embrace the challenge: Starting out on your motorcycle, even on a short trip to work, might not seem that challenging... but don't ever underestimate the physicality of any trip. Recently I started off for work knowing I'd encounter rain (so had my rain suit on) but halfway there the rain turned into a deluge. The idea of pulling over to wait it out was attractive, but instead I pushed through and when I arrived I felt even more accomplished.
  3. Bring your charger: My life is on my phone!
    Checking my work email, looking up a route on Google Maps, listening to Pandora, and taking pictures to post to Instagram. Even taking a lunch break on the road I'll charge my batteries so I won't miss taking as many pictures as I want.
  4. Stay comfortable: Nearly as important as the right
    gear, getting out of your riding gear - especially on the longer road trips - is a must do. Flip-flops and/or slippers, shorts and a t-shirt, and a hoodie are easy to pack (and feel really good at the end of a long day!).
  5. Go Slow: I'll be the first to admit - I like to go fast! The thrill of speeding down the road, feeling the wind, maneuvering my bike through the twisties is a lot of fun. But I have to remember that when I go too fast I'll miss the scenery (no matter how fast I'm going I always take time to see what other riders/drivers are doing!). Remember that on a bike you're seeing much more than you do in a car, so take the time and enjoy the view.
Your motorcycle trip should always start by planning ahead. What's the weather going to be like? What gear should I have with me? Thinking it through in advance will help you to have a great experience instead of being preoccupied with the other stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment