Wednesday, July 12, 2017

You can bet your sweet App on that!!

Here's what happened last week in our Service Department at FX Caprara Harley-Davidson:

As you might already know, I also take pictures of damaged bikes for warranty claims. Within the last year or so, that's expanded to taking pictures of wrecked bikes for the insurance claim.

What I recently found out is that quite a few insurance companies no longer have an insurance adjuster come out to the shop to do the estimate. You just download their app - bing, bang, boom and you're done! And now, one company I just got off the phone with, is doing claims completely through their app on my (or your) smart phone. 
"Isn't that better?" I hear you ask, "That means I don't have to wait on the adjuster, right? So I'll get my money faster." Well, the answer is yes and no.

Yes - it's better if all you care about is getting some money for your accident. Notice I didn't say "enough money" to fix your motorcycle. 

This is the point is when my answer is No - it's not better because there are things that'll get missed (and I get the feeling this is why insurance companies have embraced this practice).

The particular company our customer has told him for us to download their app to my smart phone. I punched in the claim number I had, only to learn that the app allows just three - 3!!! - pictures of the damaged area. But this bike has more than three damaged areas....

So I called the insurance company through their national 1-800 number and, after going through the automated system, got a real live person on the phone. 
"Jake" was quite pleasant to speak with - so that was a plus, but the only one. As it turns out I can only submit photos through their app - I have no way to email them to a claims representative

Jake even seemed a little dismayed to hear that the owner had brought their bike into the dealership. "Oh, the owner could have done that [on the app] - he didn't have to take his bike to you."

Alarm bells going off!! This insurance company has done away with claims adjusters in favor of inexperienced representatives who are writing estimates based on pictures taken by the owner (whose primary job isn't as a automotive or motorcycle technician). To say something is going to get missed is an understatement.
Getting something done faster and easier is not always going to be best for you, the customer. Insurance companies are hoping you'll accept the check for a substandard, below cost estimate and just shut-up about it. Consumers need to wake up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment