Thursday, August 24, 2017

Did I predict the future??


Even though I'm not a French physician writing in quatrains, I think I may have predicted the future last week when I blogged, "So, unless you're in an interview with the MoCo., let the Low Rider be in a Softail frame. It's adorable." But did I really perceive the coming of the new Softail frame through my crystal ball? (Yes, that is my crystal ball!) Let's review:


*In case you missed it, Harley-Davidson announced a new cruiser frame to house the Milwaukee-Eight motor for the 2018 model year. And now the Low Rider IS a Softail.

  • The Dyna model family as we know it began with the Super Glide, when Harley combined the Sportster with the larger big
    twin models of the day, waaaaay back in 1971. That was 45 years ago.
  • Nearly 35 years ago the Softail family was born from the brain of Bill Davis, who sold his patents, prototype and tooling to Harley, who produced the first FXST Softail in 1984. 
  • For decades people have said that even though a new model year had been announced, the only real difference from one year to the next was engine displacement and/or paint. 
  • Traditionally, the newest motor goes in the Touring lineup first, then it makes it down the rest of the family tree the following year. That happened with the Twin-Cam 96ci, 103ci & 110ci motors. But when it came to the new Milwaukee-Eight, it was
    too big to fit into the traditional Dyna & Softail frames.
  • Earlier this year Harley announced they were moving the manufacturing of the Softail line from York, PA (where the Touring & Trike lines are produced) to the Kansas City plant, birth place of the Dyna, Sporster & Street bikes.
  • It wouldn't be cost effective to continue to make four motors - the Milwaukee-Eight, Twin Cam, Evolution (Sportster), and Revolution X (Street). Harley has always been good at balancing the books as well as their bikes- that's one of the reasons they've been in business for 115 years (not many companies can say that). 
So yes, I'm a Witch (told you that crystal ball is mine!), but I really didn't use a anything to foresee the change coming. Anyone who knows the pattern of a successful company knows that they will continue to innovate and push the envelope.

I am proud to keep my 2004 Dyna Super Glide as well as excited to witness this moment in history. I might even possibly add to my collection with a new Heritage Classic 115th Anniversary edition.

Don't forget you're invited to FXCHD's Fall Open House, September 22-24 and you can see the new Softail family for yourself. Not in the area? Don't worry - just go to a Harley-Davidson dealership close to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment